Sunday, August 15, 2010

We Signed a Contract for 2011 Housing

Our usual Sunday Chautauqua worship routine: 9:30 at the Lutheran House and 10:45 in the amphitheater. The preacher this morning, although she will not be the chaplain the rest of the week, is Rev. Serene Jones, the first female president of Union Theological Seminary in New York City. Her sermon was titled, “Detroit” with the text from Ezekiel about the dry bones. She likened te decline of Detroit with the decline of mainline Christianity and its seminaries, but pointed out hopeful signs in both Detroit and her seminary.



John and Reba went to the realtor’s office and signed a contract for a 2-bedroom, 2-bath condo in this building for weeks 5 and 6 next year. Our balcony looks out the back into trees instead of out the front towards Bestor Plaza, but it has its own washer/dryer and wi-fi in the building. Whew!! That’s done. Now Reba’s working on 2012.

John and I went to the Vespers service at 5 p.m. in the Hall of Philosophy to hear Rev. Welton Gaddy who will be the chaplain during the week.

I had some bacon in the freezer that I wanted to use up, so we invited Quastlers to join us for breakfast at supper. I did a quick meal of scrambled eggs, bacon and toast before we went to the amp for the Sacred Song service. Tonight was a community sing of “Faure’s Requiem”. Jared said they had done a community sing last year of “The Messiah” and it was such a success he looked for another piece that many people would be familiar with. And by the number of mouths I could see moving in unison when I surveyed the crowd, many people were. I enjoyed listening.

Quastlers have a low carb ice cream in their freezer from Braum’s in Missouri and we sat on their porch in the dark eating dessert. Lovely way to end a lovely day.

No comments: