Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Exploring the Eastern Shore

John and I went for an early morning walk. (7 a.m. is early morning to me these days.) It is gray and cold, but not raining yet. After breakfast I cooked a Rachel pasta sauce for dinner and put it in the refrigerator to “develop the flavor.” Then we drove up the peninsula about 20 miles to Onancock to find out about the ferry to Tangier Island. We learned that it doesn’t start operating until this week-end, but no one was sure if “week-end” meant Friday or Saturday. We picked up a brochure and will call them.

We didn’t have a detailed map but the peninsula isn’t that wide. I assumed as long as I knew which direction I was going, I really couldn’t get too lost. Unfortunately it was raining and gray. I thought I was going south when I turned right at Highway 175 trying to get back to Highway 13, the main north/south artery. I was really going north so when I turned right it took me east on to Chincoteague Island. We had planned to visit Chincoteague sometime this week to see the wild ponies, but it was getting late, it’s still raining so we turned around, and headed home. We’ll be back in a few days.

NASA also has an installation here on Wallops Island and they have a Visitor’s Center with some exhibits. It’s only open Thursday through Monday, so another “not today.” We did find a Lutheran Church on our way home. Didn’t think there was one. This is definitely the land of the Methodists. There is a Methodist Church in every little village.

Had to get home to watch the last “Jeopardy” championship game. Ken Jennings didn’t win.

No comments: