Sunday, May 06, 2007

Brunch and Sightseeing


After church we went to brunch at the Casa Marina Hotel. John had discovered this historic hotel when he was out wandering around last week while I was gone. The sign out front about the Sunday brunch was intriguing so we went to check it out. It was one of the best brunches we've had. This hotel opened in 1924 on the Jacksonville beach, which all the postcards described as the "Best Beach in the US."



After brunch we drove down the beach. John wanted to show me the Red Cross Volunteer Life Saving Station The lifeguards wear 1920s style bathing costumes when on duty, but you can see that they pull the top off when relaxing in the station. One young man spotted me taking a picture of the building and he called his buddies out to pose. I laughed and said he must have done this before. His arm was in a cast, but I didn't ask why.

We did some more exploring in the beach communities south of Jacksonville and north of St. Augustine until it started pouring rain and we drove home.

No comments: