Saturday, July 17, 2010

What? Another Capitol?

Tonight’s destination is Oxford, Iowa, We’re still on I-80 with corn all around us. We saw these signs on a fence about 25 miles west of Des Moines:
Urban Sprawl
Ain’t Two Pretty
Save our farms,
build in the City.
It should have been followed by a sign that said “Burma Shave” Wonder what development they’re protesting or if it’s a social comment in general.

More about rest stops. Iowa calls rest stops with restrooms “modern.” Other ones are just parking areas. They also have wi-fi in their “modern” rest areas.







I often say “timing is everything,” and it was certainly true this afternoon. Since we were driving right through Des Moines (yes, another capitol) I asked if we could stop to see if they were open today. They were and I immediately asked about a gift shop. They close at 2 p.m. I was there about 1:59 p.m. They had an ornament!! I also bought a new mousepad with the capitol on it. It is a beautiful, huge, capitol with four domes: a large, gold one in the middle, and ones on each corner of the building. We didn’t take time for a tour, just grabbed our loot, snapped a few photos and got back on the road.



Sleepy Hollow RV Park is a place where people come to spend the summer. There is a lake for fishing, a large swimming pool and everyone was out having a good time. It took 3 attempts to find us a space. The first one he sent us to had a backhoe sitting in the middle of it, the second one had a picnic table, chairs, and an awning in the middle of it. The third one was the charm.

No comments: