Wednesday, August 08, 2007

It's Astabula County Fair Time

I was listening to the radio yesterday morning when they mentioned the opening of the Ashtabula County Fair. Jefferson is the County seat and home to the Fairgrounds where the County Fair is held, so only about 5 miles from where Toby is parked. What they were talking about on the radio was the fact that the decorated bicycle parade was cancelled because of the rain. It stormed off and on all day.

But today the sun is shining, it's going to be hot, there's a chance of thunder showers so we took an umbrella (for sun or rain) and went off to the fair.



Life is different in small towns and small county fairs aren't the San Diego County Fair. Everyone was sweating, but no one seemed to mind it. We walked through the horse barns first and the draft horses were being spruced up for their classes. We watched the horses being harnessed in their carts and then walked to the ring to watch the men and gelded draft horse class. Here's the winner of the class.



Then we walked down the line of food stalls. There were lots of periogies being sold, not something you see at the San Diego County Fair. And they don't drink soda, they drink pop.

The 4-H clubs and Scout Troops made displays illustrating the Fair's theme, "Racing to the Fair," and their activities. There are many 4-H sewing groups. The vegetable judging had this display that I call the Vegetable Man.
.


I was also intrigued by this mobile ATM machine truck. I don't think I've ever seen this before.


Our one purchase was an interesting item called Topless Sandals. I've never seen them, but it's like the sole of a flip-flop sandal. There is a sticky substance that sticks to your clean feet. You just wash them when they quit sticking or get dirty. John and I both got a pair to wear around home. The slippers we have are too hot.

Tonight is a bull riding contest, and we could come back. We have our purple wrist bands. But I was melting by 2 p.m. and when we left, umbrella held high, I couldn't commit to returning. And we didn't

No comments: